The Global Dimensions in Higher Education Project Team held another productive meeting at Aston University on Monday and Tuesday 8th-9th of July 2013. A series of introductory videos were produced to support the understanding of the module’s aims, ethos and learning approaches. These videos will become available on this blog in the near future.
(from left to right Drs Panos Vlachopoulos, Anne Wheeler, David Walker, Keith Smyth)
The team also held fruitful discussions regarding issues facing collaborative open educational practices, including cross-institutional validation and the implications for institutional policy. A number of challenges have been identified:
- Joint approval of collaborative provision
- Potential need to restructure institutional policy and regulations to accommodate collaborative OER course design and delivery
- Enrolment and assessment of open access versus institutional participants
- Access to licensed resources
- Integration of open platforms of delivery with institutional educational technologies
- Cross-institutional administrative support
- Distribution of developmental costs
- Alignment and compatibility of institutional curricula models (including credit levels and teaching periods)
The team felt that these challenges are worthy of further exploration and wider debate, and are currently exploring opportunities to involve colleagues in the sector in discussions and symposia.